Water Softening Services in Lancaster, PA
One of the most common water quality issues in Lancaster is hard water, which is water that contains an excess of minerals like calcium and magnesium. These minerals can adhere to the inside of pipes, plumbing fixtures, water heaters, and other appliances, causing a thick scale that reduces the effective diameter of the water passages. Eventually, clogs can form, rendering the pipes, fixtures, or appliances virtually unusable without significant repairs or replacement. One of the most effective ways to treat hard water is with a water softening system.
At The Witmer Company, we offer installation and maintenance for a variety of water conditioning equipment, including softening systems. We also offer water quality testing, as well as complete plumbing, heating, and air conditioning services. Our company has been proudly serving Lancaster County for over 75 years.
Contact us today at 717-288-7163 to learn more about our water conditioning services!
The Effects of Hard Water in a Lancaster Home
Hard water can cause a variety of problems for homeowners in the Lancaster area, including:
- Pipe clogs: The minerals in hard water, known as limescale, adhere to the walls of pipes and restrict flow, eventually clogging the pipe completely.
- Fixture and appliance damage: Water heaters, dishwashers, and other appliances can become clogged by limescale, requiring extensive repairs or replacement.
- Deposits on cookware: Tea kettles, stock pots, and other utensils used to boil water can accumulate limescale, which is difficult to remove.
- Water spots: Hard water can create spots on glasses, plates, and other dishes as they dry, leaving behind mineral deposits as the water evaporates.
- Soap scum: Hard water affects the chemicals that allow soaps to lather properly and causes the formation of soap scum in showers, tubs, and sinks.
A water softening system can reduce or eliminate many of these problems, and our professionals at The Witmer Company can work with you to determine the best solution for your needs and your budget.
To learn more about the problems associated with hard water, contact our team today!
Water Softening Systems for Lancaster County Residents
Water softening systems correct hard water by replacing calcium and magnesium ions with a sodium ions from water softening salt in a process called ion exchange. There are five primary steps:
- Water enters a tank containing negatively-charged beads of resin
- The positively-charged magnesium and calcium ions are attracted to the beads
- As the calcium and magnesium ions leave the water, they are replaced by positive sodium ions
- Magnesium and calcium are flushed out of the tank with saltwater and disposed of
- Sodium ions collect on the beads in the recharge process, and the cycle repeats
Water softening systems are often used in combination with other water conditioning equipment, such as reverse osmosis or UV purification, to remove the widest range of contaminants. At The Witmer Company, we can design a comprehensive water conditioning system corrects most common water quality problems.
To learn more about water softening systems, contact us today!
Call Us Today for Water Softening Systems in the Lancaster Area
Whether you need a water softening system, UV purification, or a whole-home filter, our team at The Witmer Company can help with all your water conditioning needs.
Never ask “Where can I find water softeners near me?” again! If you live near Lancaster, PA, contact us today at 717-288-7163 to schedule service!
“I have dealt with this company for many years and through several homes that I have owned. I have recommended them to neighbors who have also been happy with their service, pricing, and honesty..“- Paul C. More Testimonials